![]() |
|
|
Disclaimer The reader accepts, on reading of this disclaimer, that the Internet is a vast wasteland of crap that spews out of human minds. This blog is no different. Any assumptions or conclusions that the reader draws from this blog are not the responsibility of the author, along with any physical or psychological harm that might result from the reading of this blog. Author The author is a paranoid, deranged and cynical misanthrope who records snippets of her life so that she will remember them when she grows old and withered. The identities of any names or initials on this blog are based on the assumptions of the reader unless otherwise specified, and the author claims no responsibility for them. Reality The author somehow got into medical school. Yes, you of the general public, shudder and fear the wrath of an inept doctor. Loves Reading, Maisy (my dog), tea, writing (albeit badly), piano, music, junk food. Hates Almost everything else besides the things mentioned above. Friends Bao Cheng' Bernice' Chien Young' Chun Hing' Claire' Faustina' Felicia' Ferly' Gloria' Irene' Irene & Jiaying' Jac' Jiamin' Jiasin' Jiaying' Lutheng' Karene' Marissa' Melesa' Mingyi' My fictionpress' Pamelia' Pei Rong' Qiu Ting' Rachel' Satires Site' Stasia' Sylvia' The Clique' Vinette' Wenjia' Xin Rong' Xue Ying' Yanne & I' Yanne & Jamie' Zeena' 203' Archives Chat area |
Wednesday, March 05, 2014
Here's a late night post because this topic has been bothering me for a while, especially the whole of today. I mentioned in the previous post that doctors don't get much down time at all. Because inevitably, some friend or relative will ask for some informal medical advice given that communication is so easy with email, Facebook and whatsapp providing real time communication anywhere around the globe. In general, I think it's fair to ask a couple of questions and I'm happy to oblige. I honestly have tried my best to address any questions I get, since I think it's an honour that I am able to render help to people I care about, and I'd wish for the same if our positions were reversed. But the past few weeks have made me a lot more wary and understanding of why many health professionals choose not to dispense even simple advice to people they know. Firstly, I personally really value whatever down time I get, as I had mentioned previously. And I think it's downright rude to intrude on someone's free time when medical advice is so readily available now with Dr google. Especially when you start throwing google facts at me. Why ask me something you already know? That leads me to my 2nd point (or 3rd?) point of contention. If you don't want to take my advice (given all the arguments against my advice which you found on the internet, and your numerous follow up messages over the next few days which basically ask the same damned question ), why bother asking me? I am already arguably crossing ethical boundaries by answering your questions just because I value your presence in my life. But for people who have honestly not been in touch with me to suddenly want to come back into my life just because I am now becoming a doctor and thus somewhat useful to you... Seriously?! I think if you really care about me, you would limit the number of times you bother me with your questions. Because my time isn't limitless, and if everyone in my life did the same, I would be majorly fucked. And I honestly try my best because I value our relationships since most of the time, I've known you for a long time. But I am really starting to feel like this relationship is being exploited for your benefit. And it really saddens me that I am nothing more to you, given your occasional messages which just consist of your medical questions interjected with a how are you. Usually tossed in at the end to try to cover up the fact that you are an uncaring asshole. Yes, this has bothered me enough to warrant a post at 2.30am typed on my mobile phone (apologies if there are any strange typos). I might just be cynical or cantankerous since uni is starting on Monday and I'm feeling rather unrested, but I think I really need to think about this . It's a situation of damned if I do, damned if I don't. If I answer your questions, it will continue to cause rifts in our relationship, at least on my part. I reflexively cringe when I see new messages from you now. And I feel unbelievably guilty and upset that things have gotten to be like this in the short ttime that we have gotten closer again. If I don't bother, I know you will be angry. Because I would be too, if someone I know started giving me what seems like a cold shoulder. So yes, I'm caught in a conundrum. And I think I'm secretly (maybe not so secretly) angry that you have placed me in such a position. And yes, this is actually kinda directed at a particular someone who sparked off this entire issue. I don't even know whether they still read this, but I guess I'm beyond caring. Or hoping they will get some insight into why I was rather cold with my reply today. It was also topped off by random relatives who have suddenly started popping up in my life again and deciding that sharing part of my DNA entitles them to free email/whatsapp consults. Despite not giving a shit about me all this while. Half wish I never did med. And I guess I understand why my brother is so aloof when people ask him for his opinion. Wish I was an uncaring bastard like him. 2:36 AM
|