Disclaimer

The reader accepts, on reading of this disclaimer, that the Internet is a vast wasteland of crap that spews out of human minds. This blog is no different. Any assumptions or conclusions that the reader draws from this blog are not the responsibility of the author, along with any physical or psychological harm that might result from the reading of this blog.

Author

The author is a paranoid, deranged and cynical misanthrope who records snippets of her life so that she will remember them when she grows old and withered. The identities of any names or initials on this blog are based on the assumptions of the reader unless otherwise specified, and the author claims no responsibility for them.

Reality

The author somehow got into medical school. Yes, you of the general public, shudder and fear the wrath of an inept doctor.

Loves

Reading, Maisy (my dog), tea, writing (albeit badly), piano, music, junk food.

Hates

Almost everything else besides the things mentioned above.

Friends

Bao Cheng' Bernice' Chien Young' Chun Hing' Claire' Faustina' Felicia' Ferly' Gloria' Irene' Irene & Jiaying' Jac' Jiamin' Jiasin' Jiaying' Lutheng' Karene' Marissa' Melesa' Mingyi' My fictionpress' Pamelia' Pei Rong' Qiu Ting' Rachel' Satires Site' Stasia' Sylvia' The Clique' Vinette' Wenjia' Xin Rong' Xue Ying' Yanne & I' Yanne & Jamie' Zeena' 203'

Archives

03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004 09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004 10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004 01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005 02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005 03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005 04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005 05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005 06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005 07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005 08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005 09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005 10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005 11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005 12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006 01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006 02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006 03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006 04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006 05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006 06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006 07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006 08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006 09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006 10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006 11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006 12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007 01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007 02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007 03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007 04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007 06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007 07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007 08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007 09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007 10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007 11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007 12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008 01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008 02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008 03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008 04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008 05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008 06/01/2008 - 07/01/2008 07/01/2008 - 08/01/2008 08/01/2008 - 09/01/2008 09/01/2008 - 10/01/2008 10/01/2008 - 11/01/2008 11/01/2008 - 12/01/2008 12/01/2008 - 01/01/2009 01/01/2009 - 02/01/2009 02/01/2009 - 03/01/2009 03/01/2009 - 04/01/2009 04/01/2009 - 05/01/2009 05/01/2009 - 06/01/2009 06/01/2009 - 07/01/2009 07/01/2009 - 08/01/2009 08/01/2009 - 09/01/2009 09/01/2009 - 10/01/2009 12/01/2009 - 01/01/2010 08/01/2010 - 09/01/2010 12/01/2010 - 01/01/2011 06/01/2011 - 07/01/2011 04/01/2012 - 05/01/2012 08/01/2012 - 09/01/2012 09/01/2012 - 10/01/2012 10/01/2012 - 11/01/2012 11/01/2012 - 12/01/2012 12/01/2012 - 01/01/2013 01/01/2013 - 02/01/2013 02/01/2013 - 03/01/2013 03/01/2013 - 04/01/2013 04/01/2013 - 05/01/2013 05/01/2013 - 06/01/2013 06/01/2013 - 07/01/2013 07/01/2013 - 08/01/2013 11/01/2013 - 12/01/2013 12/01/2013 - 01/01/2014 02/01/2014 - 03/01/2014 03/01/2014 - 04/01/2014 05/01/2014 - 06/01/2014

Chat area


Sunday, April 07, 2013

The start of my obstetrics and gynaecology rotation has been nothing short of a fiasco. I didn't expect to like the rotation, but I didn't think that I'd conclude by day 2 that I never ever want to work in this specialty again (well, I was quite decided on day 1 but thought I'd give it another go).

Much of the fiasco could be attributed to our dear university allocating me to a hospital that is 2 hours travel away from me. I admittedly live far away from just about everything due to my family's socioeconomic status; my parents can't afford to buy a home in the privileged suburbs around the city (and I definitely don't expect them to; the housing prices are insane there). The nearest hospital available for this rotation is a good 1hr15mins away by public transport for me, and driving is out of the question in the morning since it would take longer to chug through the jam vs taking public transport, and parking is a downright nightmare.

By some stroke of bad luck/karma, I got assigned to the furthest hospital (it's furthest for just about everyone except those living up North). I'd even emailed the unit coordinator to appeal for the closer hospital upon learning that this hospital (JH) was a viable option for our attachment, but unfortunately she said that the list was complete and that I was down for JH (this was in an email 2 days before the start of the rotation).  However, she also reassured me that it shouldn't be an issue getting a swap.

Turns out she LIED.

I guess that's a bit harsh; it's more that she didn't predict the incredible backlash and rage that emanated from those who got sent to JH (the far far away place). People who were staying around uni were complaining that it took them just about 3mins to get to KEMH (the main hospital that most people wanted), and were asking for swaps.

Fair enough, obviously everyone wants the best possible allocation for them. But I personally think 1 person took it way beyond what can be considered courtesy (most of the others backed out upon hearing that I also got JH). If I got allocated a hospital 30mins away from me, I'd be overjoyed given how that's the min traveling time for me even to Armadale which is the nearest hospital for me. I was prepared to accept Rockingham hospital very happily for gen med, since that's 45mins away but no issues with traffic or parking.

This person, on the other hand, approached the unit coordinator requesting for a swap to KEMH because it's 3 mins away from her house. And she was worried about crashing her car on the freeway after her 12 hour shifts during her 30min drive home, and worried about getting raped while walking to the car park after said shifts. And yes, all of this was said in front of me. Without considering that it would have taken me at least 1.5hours to drive from JH home. Fine, maybe she thinks I'm not as attractive as her and would have a lower chance of getting raped.

I'd lost just about all my faith in my dear colleagues over the past 4 years or so, where I now see most of them as selfish, pitiless ambitious assholes (yes, boohoo for the general public expecting sympathetic, kind and understanding doctors). I overgeneralise; there are nice people in my cohort for sure. But this encounter just made me lose most of what little faith I have left.

It doesn't help that said person has been rubbing it in my face and trying to guilt-trip me that I took the KEMH slot by retorting with 'at least you don't have to go to JH' at just about every opportunity. Honestly, are you frigging kidding me?! Your 30min drive against traffic to JH vs my 1hr15min public transport rush every day. Oh yes, I'm meant to apologise and take the 2 hour public transport option instead so you can have your comfortable 3min travel to KEMH.

Said person even went as far as to say that allocations should be given based on location, and thus she should have gotten KEMH which is closest to her. When EB rebutted that that would mean the rest of us who stay far away would have to travel double the distance just so she could have her comfortable allocation (oh God, one of the only times EB said something sensible), said person snapped that she was paying higher rent to live close to the hospital and thus should be entitled to KEMH over the rest of us. My hand was twitching with the temptation to just smash *accidentally* into her smug face.

Allow me to declare a moment of silence for the death of the compassionate doctor.

I had to run during our tea break to make my case to the unit coordinator about how I'd be doing 12hr shifts and traveling 4 hours in total a day, making it 16 hours and rather unfeasible for me to be physically and mentally alive by the end of the rotation. The decision for who to swap to the extra slot was finally based on who lives furthest, of which I obviously 'won'. Thank goodness. I was close to tears at the thought that I might crash my car and get raped. *drips sarcasm* But yes, I was close to tears with frustration and the worry that I might literally drop dead from lack of sleep and stress.

To heap shit onto the already huge pile of crap I had, on the way up to speak to the unit coordinator, I met a couple in the lift who asked if I was working at the hospital. Not wanting to lie (technically I do, but technically I don't since I don't get paid but am attached at the hospital), I said I'm a med student. The man then brandished a pathology request form in my face and asked me what it meant. All it said was QbHCG and ?failing pregnancy. Given how I knew shitall about O&G since it was 2 hours into my 1st day, I guessed that it was to measure the amount of bHCG (hey, it turned out to be right!) and told them that the test was to measure the level of the hormone. The guy then pointed directly at ?failing pregnancy and asked me what it meant.

I then mumbled something quickly about how the doctors probably want to know the quantity of the hormone to determine how her pregnancy is going, and the lift thankfully got to my floor and I ran out in terror. In retrospect, I feel really bad about how I handled that situation. Not that I know how I could have made it better.

So yes, that was my rather eventful start to O&G. Hurray for me.

At least I got KEMH, so I'm not gonna complain. But this week is gonna be total hell given how I've to be at the hospital from Mon-Sun, and have 2 delivery shifts (8am-8pm). Fun times indeed.

6:43 PM