![]() |
|
|
Disclaimer The reader accepts, on reading of this disclaimer, that the Internet is a vast wasteland of crap that spews out of human minds. This blog is no different. Any assumptions or conclusions that the reader draws from this blog are not the responsibility of the author, along with any physical or psychological harm that might result from the reading of this blog. Author The author is a paranoid, deranged and cynical misanthrope who records snippets of her life so that she will remember them when she grows old and withered. The identities of any names or initials on this blog are based on the assumptions of the reader unless otherwise specified, and the author claims no responsibility for them. Reality The author somehow got into medical school. Yes, you of the general public, shudder and fear the wrath of an inept doctor. Loves Reading, Maisy (my dog), tea, writing (albeit badly), piano, music, junk food. Hates Almost everything else besides the things mentioned above. Friends Bao Cheng' Bernice' Chien Young' Chun Hing' Claire' Faustina' Felicia' Ferly' Gloria' Irene' Irene & Jiaying' Jac' Jiamin' Jiasin' Jiaying' Lutheng' Karene' Marissa' Melesa' Mingyi' My fictionpress' Pamelia' Pei Rong' Qiu Ting' Rachel' Satires Site' Stasia' Sylvia' The Clique' Vinette' Wenjia' Xin Rong' Xue Ying' Yanne & I' Yanne & Jamie' Zeena' 203' Archives Chat area |
Saturday, March 23, 2013
Hmm, it's Friday. Usually I'd be running around happily screaming TGIF, but instead I'm kinda looking forward to Monday. Even though I'm displaying Parkinsonian symptoms from sheer exhaustion (sat on the couch after dinner staring at a series of random TV ads and American Idol without any of it registering because I was too tired to get off the couch). I've really been enjoying my ICU term. It has made me consider doing ICU as a career option even more strongly than before. Everyone's really keen to teach, and I don't have to talk to patients since most are so sick. And the variety of patients (both general and surgical) is awesome. We even had a burns patient today! Saw some weird and wonderful shit including bad subcutaneous emphysema (which was in the patient's thorax up to even the eyes) secondary to bilateral pneumothorax (?pneumothoraces) in this lady with end-stage COPD. It's been so good that I'm even lamenting that these 2 weeks are cut short due to Good Friday next week. I doubt the consultants will be glad to hear that I am seriously considering ICU though. I think they think that I'm dumb, especially the current consultant who gave us students a 20min run-down on shock today. Lol. Also doesn't help that I massively phailed on Mon with some procedures. Couldn't get a cannula into this psych patient who admittedly has really bad veins from IVDU, loads of scars and tattoos on his arms. Even the anaesthetic reg didn't bother trying because she couldn't find any nice veins, so I didn't feel too bad. Then was asked to take blood cultures from a comatose patient and FAILED. And even stabbed myself with the needle (fortunately before it went into the patient) which was hell embarrassing. Apparently his veins had sclerosed from repeated tests though. The RMO also had difficulties getting blood, but I still felt really shit and incompetent (especially with a fresh bandaid on me left middle finger from said self-inflicted jab). It doesn't help that I have to teach my annoying students tomorrow. I'm relief-teaching for a friend who was sent far far away for his rural GP term, and tried to shuffle the students around so that I'd cut my total traveling time down by 15 mins. Unfortunately, these selfish bastards refuse to budge to accommodate me, with one demanding to know why I needed to change the time of the lesson and refusing because they need to take a nap at 12pm. For fuck's sake, it's just 4 lessons, 45mins each time. Their piano isn't even any where near the bedrooms. And I explained that it was very inconvenient for me to have to make a huge detour. Can't wait to be rid of these fktards. They can try getting their own teacher for $25 per 45min lesson going to the house, bilingual (they only speak Chinese), grade 8 qualification. And they can cancel at the last-minute multiple times on whatever teacher they manage to find and see if said teacher will still bother teaching their kid. I was hoping my friend would be sent to somewhere relatively near for rural GP so that he would still drive back up to Perth, but that unfortunately didn't work out. Probably gonna quit teaching when he gets back (3/5 of my students have temporarily stopped. Given how annoying they were in the first place with loads of cancellations and unwillingness to learn, I've decided to ditch them even if they want to continue lessons. I've not gotten any income from them this month at all. Yes, the cancellations are that bad). Otherwise, it's shaping up to be a pretty awesome 2 weeks, which is great given how I felt like I was being haunted by dementors for the 2 weeks that I was on oncology. Oh God, that is one specialty that I wouldn't want to get within a 100m radius if possible. It trumps even psychiatry and geries as being the worst ever rotation so far. Gonna be a very busy weekend too; have to sort out the student conference stuff, get started on my ICU report (consultant requested for us to submit it by Wed if possible. She doesn't mind even if it's in the week after the option though. But given how nice they've all been, I don't really want to inconvenience her). Also got our family dinner because my brother's graduation ceremony is coming up on Mon. And I'm so tired and it's past midnight so I should really go to bed. Piano teaching starting at 1pm tomorrow. Le sigh. 12:06 AM
|