![]() |
|
|
Disclaimer The reader accepts, on reading of this disclaimer, that the Internet is a vast wasteland of crap that spews out of human minds. This blog is no different. Any assumptions or conclusions that the reader draws from this blog are not the responsibility of the author, along with any physical or psychological harm that might result from the reading of this blog. Author The author is a paranoid, deranged and cynical misanthrope who records snippets of her life so that she will remember them when she grows old and withered. The identities of any names or initials on this blog are based on the assumptions of the reader unless otherwise specified, and the author claims no responsibility for them. Reality The author somehow got into medical school. Yes, you of the general public, shudder and fear the wrath of an inept doctor. Loves Reading, Maisy (my dog), tea, writing (albeit badly), piano, music, junk food. Hates Almost everything else besides the things mentioned above. Friends Bao Cheng' Bernice' Chien Young' Chun Hing' Claire' Faustina' Felicia' Ferly' Gloria' Irene' Irene & Jiaying' Jac' Jiamin' Jiasin' Jiaying' Lutheng' Karene' Marissa' Melesa' Mingyi' My fictionpress' Pamelia' Pei Rong' Qiu Ting' Rachel' Satires Site' Stasia' Sylvia' The Clique' Vinette' Wenjia' Xin Rong' Xue Ying' Yanne & I' Yanne & Jamie' Zeena' 203' Archives Chat area |
Monday, February 11, 2013
It's CNY today! I think the exclamation mark probably inferred more excitement than I experienced in the entire day. CNY here's pretty dull, and mainly involves being on the phone/computer to rapidly reply good wishes from friends/family. And of course, money from my parents XD. It didn't help that I spent basically all of yesterday at work invigilating exams for the GP fellowship; I left home at 6.15am and got home at 7pm, utterly exhausted (exams are only twice a year or so thankfully). My mum had a nice steamboat dinner ready though, so I was kept happy despite the series of unfortunate events that had occurred en route home from the exams. I was late by less than half a min (the train literally pulled away from the platform when I was about 10m from it) for the train, and had to wait a long 22mins for the next one. Of course, I had to miss the train when the next one was delayed (trains usually come at about 10-15min intervals). I then managed to lose my way trying to get out of the bloody train station that I'd parked at thanks to the massive construction that was going on, and got caught at the traffic light both times, causing me to be delayed by about 10mins. Then got stuck crawling behind some idiot that decided to travel at 10km per hour below the speed limit. And it didn't help that I worked on a day that I'd planned to have off. I'd cancelled piano teaching this weekend due to CNY, and just sheer exhaustion since I'd been running on a sleep deficit since getting home at about 3.30am from EB's birthday party last week. Oh yes, EB's party. I'd initially intended to leave before midnight (got there at about 9.30 after piano teaching), but somehow ended up leaving at 3am along with a few others. It was quite dull initially (us meddies lounging in a corner chatting amongst ourselves while EB, 3 other meddies and her high school friends watched a movie in the living room. I was kinda thinking why I even bothered turning up...), then we played bang, which is this awesome card game. And then mafia after that, because EB doesn't know how to play bang, wasn't interested in learning it and proclaimed that it was her birthday and we should all listen to her. *cough* I think I started looking a bit stoned by 1am, and just switched off by about 2. I was probably too tired to remove myself from the party, but all in all, it was pretty fun. This week's been a pretty good/interesting week. Learnt quite a lot of weird stuff on the ward (e.g. Bartter's syndrome which I'd never heard of before, and the patient also had acute hep B. Saw a case of hepatic encephalopathy too), and hit 20 patients for my logbook despite it being just the end of week 3 now :P. I've also got my group presentation signed off (by none other than the consultant who got shitty at me last Fri. He surprisingly gave me a pretty good mark despite his high expectations and last week! I don't think he remembers what happened last week, so phew), so I've just got my ward presentation and 2 more logbook reflections to do (did one just now) and I'm done with gen med :D. One of our bedside tutors (ND professor/associate dean) also made me lose quite a lot of my respect for him. We went to see this patient who got really bad cellulitis of the knee after falling into a drain in Bali. Despite the patient's vigorous verbal and physical protests (he literally dragged said professor's hand away multiple times), our dear tutor repeatedly poked this poor guy's obviously inflamed and excruciating knee to attempt to find 'a collection of pus'. Firstly, I didn't think that we were entitled to do it given how we aren't even a part of his treating team. Secondly, the poor guy was in so much pain, and told said tutor off repeatedly to stop poking his knee, dragging his hand away multiple times to boot. Lastly, dear professorhead proclaimed that the patient is a NARCISSIST after we left the room because he protested against having his very painful knee prodded by a retired rheumatologist and a bunch of useless medical students who would not have done anything to help him anyway. And no, professorhead did not even apologise to the patient. It was so bad that one of the ND students thanked the poor patient and walked out, with the rest of us hurriedly following in his wake. I mean, if we could have done something to help the patient, fair enough. But no, despite all of us agreeing that a 1st gen cephalosporin should not have been used in aggressive cellulitis (IV tazocin would have been a better option imo), especially if the patient fell into a drain and could have a pseudomonas infection, none of us even said anything to the management team. So yes, I really didn't think any of us were entitled to poke the poor guy's knee. And apparently the patient is a very nice man who even allowed one of us med students to put a cannula in him. Not the narcissist that professorhead proclaimed him to be. Ah well. We all have to play the game of pretending to be thoroughly impressed and grateful for teaching. I usually am genuinely impressed and grateful, but not this time. Anyway, I've been feeling sleepy pretty early nowadays... Almost at little-old-lady bedtime (i.e. 11pm for me). And generally sleepy throughout the day too. I hope I'm not coming down with a virus or something (RL's fighting off a bad virus atm). And hopefully it's not something like narcolepsy either. So with that, I'm off to bed. Happy CNY to anyone who still reads this floating piece of crap in cyberspace! :) 12:20 AM
|