![]() |
|
|
Disclaimer The reader accepts, on reading of this disclaimer, that the Internet is a vast wasteland of crap that spews out of human minds. This blog is no different. Any assumptions or conclusions that the reader draws from this blog are not the responsibility of the author, along with any physical or psychological harm that might result from the reading of this blog. Author The author is a paranoid, deranged and cynical misanthrope who records snippets of her life so that she will remember them when she grows old and withered. The identities of any names or initials on this blog are based on the assumptions of the reader unless otherwise specified, and the author claims no responsibility for them. Reality The author somehow got into medical school. Yes, you of the general public, shudder and fear the wrath of an inept doctor. Loves Reading, Maisy (my dog), tea, writing (albeit badly), piano, music, junk food. Hates Almost everything else besides the things mentioned above. Friends Bao Cheng' Bernice' Chien Young' Chun Hing' Claire' Faustina' Felicia' Ferly' Gloria' Irene' Irene & Jiaying' Jac' Jiamin' Jiasin' Jiaying' Lutheng' Karene' Marissa' Melesa' Mingyi' My fictionpress' Pamelia' Pei Rong' Qiu Ting' Rachel' Satires Site' Stasia' Sylvia' The Clique' Vinette' Wenjia' Xin Rong' Xue Ying' Yanne & I' Yanne & Jamie' Zeena' 203' Archives Chat area |
Friday, November 02, 2012
FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!! At least till next Wednesday. Which is when the faculty calls the people who failed the exams (not sure if it's just the OSCE/clinical one, or if it includes the written papers). I've never sat a worse bunch of exams in my entire life; I've never been this unsure that I passed. There's just this feeling of unease that's sitting like a heavy stone in my stomach... At times, I think I did ok. And then I think about it again and am convinced I failed. It didn't help that I wasn't feeling well during this entire exam period thanks to my period that came a week early. I would have overslept and missed my exam on Monday if my dad had not woken me up (and it was only by chance that he knew I had an exam on that day. Because I asked him to shift his car the night before so that I could get outta the garage). So I jumped outta bed on Mon, weaved through traffic to get to uni by 9am. And had a major brainfart during the exam. I have no idea what the hell happened, and I'm sure I didn't do well at all in that exam. Even though about half of the written paper was repeated from past year papers. The extended matching questions weren't that much better either. I thought they were quite alright... Until after walking out of the exam and comparing answers with my friends. Bleh. Wouldn't be surprised if I failed this exam. Which is apparently pretty damn hard to fail. Then spent the next 1.5 days studying an entire year's worth of pathology. It was terrible, horrible, incorrigible, every damn word that describes something that is utterly and truly shit. Even people with degrees in molecular genetics in our cohort did not understand what the hell that stupid genetics unit coordinator wanted us to know for the damn exam. It was the worst paper in the history of my 4 years in med school, and probably the worst exam in my entire life. I was unprepared, sleep-deprived (had less than 3 hours of sleep), and felt like a thousand rabid, crazy, hyperactive chipmunks were building a treehouse inside my skull. My heart was going at 120 beats/min, I had chest pain, palpitations and thought I was gonna get a heart attack and drop dead from all the stress, anxiety and slurry of catecholamines doing laps in my cardiovascular system. I looked so shit and delirious that I didn't even need a costume for Halloween (probably looked like some zombied panda). I left 30mins early because I figured that staring blankly at my paper was not gonna give me more marks, and I'd be better off going home to study for the next day's exams. What really sucks is that the exam is worth 70%, so the 87.5% I got in sem 1's exam (worth 20%) does shitall to help (remaining 10% from lab worksheets. Hoping they give full marks for just submitting them). Sigh, I really hope I passed. Thankfully the exams on Thursday were better. I needed 22% to pass pharmacology, and I'm sure I got that. Which is absolutely great, and made me feel slightly better and more confident that I will someday be a doctor (albeit it remains to be debated if I'll make a good doctor. Lol). Infectious diseases wasn't too bad too, considering how I spent all of an HOUR studying for the damn exam (it was in the OSCEs too, so I just relied on my retentive memory since I needed the entire day to study the year's worth of pharmacology). I think I passed these 2 exams. Phew. Having 5 damn exams in 6 days really isn't good for one's physical and mental health. We probably looked like a bunch of the living dead hovering around the exam venue, talking rabidly and looking like we would eat every damn person walking by. It wouldn't have been so bad if there weren't the written exams to worry about I think. Or at least if there hadn't been as much material to study, especially for pathology. Or just if there hadn't been frigging damn genetics. I'm glad it's over. We get our results officially on 16th Nov, but since remediation for OSCEs starts on the 12th of Nov, they'll be calling the people who failed next Wed (or so we figured out). If I fail, it'll mean 2 months of FULL-TIME remediation. Blargh. Which would mean my holiday to China will be gone. BLARGH. I'd honestly rather fail a written paper if I had the choice. I'm just completely unsure if I even passed anything. I guess we should have passed research... I'm not even hoping for a HD now. I'd be happy with a D, ok with a C, annoyed with a pass, and go on a full-out rampage if I fail. Because it has sapped so much of my time that I should have spent studying this entire year. With the rest of the exams, I think I'll be delirious with happiness if I somehow get a HD, happy with a D, content with a C, alright with a pass, and resigned if I fail. What a change from last year when I got straight HDs and was utterly enraged with a D for my stupid option unit. As they say, the clinical years really change you. Even my mum said that passing was enough, and there's more to life than getting good grades. Which really stunned me because she's such a stereotypical asian parent that I never expected her to say that. Unless she thought I looked rather depressed and suicidal after that pathology exam (she said it after asking me how I went in that. Lol). I even phoned the faculty office yesterday in my desperation to ask if they knew when we'd receive the calls informing us about our failure. Turns out no one really knows, but they said it's on the day of the board of examiner's meeting. Which is traditionally (according to my brother and SL's bf) on a Wednesday. Ie: 6 days time. Sigh.... Time to go enjoy my freedom while I have it :(. 2:49 PM
|