![]() |
|
|
Disclaimer The reader accepts, on reading of this disclaimer, that the Internet is a vast wasteland of crap that spews out of human minds. This blog is no different. Any assumptions or conclusions that the reader draws from this blog are not the responsibility of the author, along with any physical or psychological harm that might result from the reading of this blog. Author The author is a paranoid, deranged and cynical misanthrope who records snippets of her life so that she will remember them when she grows old and withered. The identities of any names or initials on this blog are based on the assumptions of the reader unless otherwise specified, and the author claims no responsibility for them. Reality The author somehow got into medical school. Yes, you of the general public, shudder and fear the wrath of an inept doctor. Loves Reading, Maisy (my dog), tea, writing (albeit badly), piano, music, junk food. Hates Almost everything else besides the things mentioned above. Friends Bao Cheng' Bernice' Chien Young' Chun Hing' Claire' Faustina' Felicia' Ferly' Gloria' Irene' Irene & Jiaying' Jac' Jiamin' Jiasin' Jiaying' Lutheng' Karene' Marissa' Melesa' Mingyi' My fictionpress' Pamelia' Pei Rong' Qiu Ting' Rachel' Satires Site' Stasia' Sylvia' The Clique' Vinette' Wenjia' Xin Rong' Xue Ying' Yanne & I' Yanne & Jamie' Zeena' 203' Archives Chat area |
Sunday, March 29, 2009
![]() After a month of uni (wow, time flies when you're a) in hell and b) drowning in work), I can finally confidently say that I am up to date with my work (ie: no assignments unfinished, no lectures unlistened to). However, being the "hardworking" person, I still have not attempted that chemistry quiz that was *recommended* to consolidate our understanding. Seeing I don't particularly have that great an understanding to consolidate in the first place, I've decided to screw it. Lol. If dear Zeena tan still reads this, she'd be very pleased (as I am) to know that daylight savings has officially hung itself on a noose for the year! And hopefully forever, though we'll only find out at the referendum on the 16th of May (PLEASE VOTE NO IF YOU ARE AUSSIE). So I got a free hour today! Woohoo! About time they gave it back to me. Med hasn't been that bad after all. I've met some very nice people, and of course, the usual few assholes who degenerate the human gene pool. However, I do dread Mondays in general. Not just because of the whole 'the weekend is over, boohoo', but because I have to get to uni by 8 in the morn (meaning get out of bed by 6.15 to get stuck in the morning traffic for an hour) for 2 hours of mind-numbing crap on common sense, and also because I have to meet my dear spider pig (that's what I christianed my pig) for 3 hours. Aka cut up fetal pigs. For those of you who don't know what fetal pigs are, they are (obviously) dead pigs that did not grow to full term. And in addition to that, they'd been dunked in formaldehyde, which supposedly makes people hungry (the serial killers!) or makes them hungry after they've thrown up all the food in their stomachs. I think I've uploaded a picture of a fetal pig, but seeing I don't usually use blogger image upload and I don't wish to have a picture of a fetal pig gracing my photobucket, I had no choice but to resort to blogger image upload. Hopefully it works. (after publishing, I think you'd all have seen the picture by now. It just jumps out at you :P) It so happens that this lab session is right before lunch (ends at about 2). Great timing indeed. On alternate Wednesdays, lo and behold, right before lunch again, we have to visit the cadavers. Aka dead bodies. Why are the timings always so good?? The cadavers smell strangely like chinese sausage. Yes, it's probably put you off the nice, succulent sausages in your char kway teow. And also planted some doubts about what is in those dyed, heavily seasoned things. BAHAHAHAHA. Anyway, while others are slaving away at their essays, spending their precious hour that was stolen from them by the evil daylight savings on it, I am lounging in my high-backed computer chair typing up a blog post, relishing the thought that my essay has been sitting finished in my folder (finished it a week ago). And it's all referenced. Woohoo! I also had my first chinese assignment due on Fri. I don't think I've told you guys about my undertaking of chinese at uni, and now would be a fitting time to do so. Once upon a time, a not so long time ago, right before the uni enrolments, I received a list of recommended units to take for our elective (1 semester 'subject' unrelated to med). On the dear list was 'Chinese beginners'. As you can imagine, the big bad wolf (aka me) thought it was a very good idea as it is basically 'bao chi' (aka: really easy). So I proceeded to find out about the timetabling. Alas, it clashed with a med lecture! So poor me had to email the unit coordinator to work out what to do. Unfortunately, the other chinese units also clashed. I then gave up my dream and chose history. I walked through the woods of uni administration forms and entered the hallowed halls of the history lecture hall on the first day of uni. Upon receiving the unit outline, I screamed a high pitched mental scream (mental=in my head). It required 2 essays (1000 words and 2000 words respectively), and an exam! Proving too much for me, I then went with Keisha to visit the unit coordinator for chinese again (Keisha wanted to switch from french). After talking to him, I realised that I could just not turn up for the lecture that clashed, seeing they record it anyway. He then asked me to read a line from a textbook (something about a lady going to the bank), and I did so without difficulty. He then told me I had to do chinese specialist (3rd year course). I sweared, but still decided to do it, thinking my foundation would be enough to tide me through and give me an easy pass. Fortunately, it has. I just sleep through the lessons as they're really easy (primary 6 standard). However, when I received the assignment, I think I looked constipated. As did the rest of the class. Not only did we have to translate a whole page of english (an article on women's rights), we had to do some sentence corrections, a return letter to something in the textbook and horror of horrors, a 600 word essay on expected parental love (li xiang di fu mu zhi ai). My sentence corrections were done in 5 minutes, return letter in an hour, translation took a whole night and essay took 2 days of painful deliberation. And the corrections were fine, return letter passable, translation bad and essay extremely mediocre. Ah well. As long as I pass. After all, the whole lot was only 10%, and the essay only 40% of it (aka 4% of the final mark). Unlike the med essay, which is worth 20% of the entire unit mark. Shit. Not to mention it's very mediocre too. As long as I pass, I don't care, dammit! On a random note, I miss singapore food. There's this 'food centre' near uni that sells a lot of asian food, and eating it made me miss singapore food (and singapore and yes, you egoistic people :P) even more. Sigh... On a lighter note, the state government finally gave me my $3000 for staying here. About time! :) Now to get my ipod! That's if I do get it. I've been saying that for nearly half a year now. Lol. 4:18 PM
|