![]() |
|
|
Disclaimer The reader accepts, on reading of this disclaimer, that the Internet is a vast wasteland of crap that spews out of human minds. This blog is no different. Any assumptions or conclusions that the reader draws from this blog are not the responsibility of the author, along with any physical or psychological harm that might result from the reading of this blog. Author The author is a paranoid, deranged and cynical misanthrope who records snippets of her life so that she will remember them when she grows old and withered. The identities of any names or initials on this blog are based on the assumptions of the reader unless otherwise specified, and the author claims no responsibility for them. Reality The author somehow got into medical school. Yes, you of the general public, shudder and fear the wrath of an inept doctor. Loves Reading, Maisy (my dog), tea, writing (albeit badly), piano, music, junk food. Hates Almost everything else besides the things mentioned above. Friends Bao Cheng' Bernice' Chien Young' Chun Hing' Claire' Faustina' Felicia' Ferly' Gloria' Irene' Irene & Jiaying' Jac' Jiamin' Jiasin' Jiaying' Lutheng' Karene' Marissa' Melesa' Mingyi' My fictionpress' Pamelia' Pei Rong' Qiu Ting' Rachel' Satires Site' Stasia' Sylvia' The Clique' Vinette' Wenjia' Xin Rong' Xue Ying' Yanne & I' Yanne & Jamie' Zeena' 203' Archives Chat area |
Saturday, December 06, 2008
I will be blogging about my very short stay in singapore shortly, but at the mo, something else is really and truly bugging me. The last ever school event I will attend in my life occured yesterday. I sat through the whole of Speech night (awards night) feeling rather pissed off. Yes, I did get 3 prizes, namely applicable maths, calculus and physics. Despite getting the most prizes and really, those of the harder subjects, I didn't get the dux ('top' pupil). On the other hand, the person who got the dux only got 1 award. And that was human biology. Seeing that she does all the 'easier' subjects like discrete maths (easiest examinable maths. Well, she does applic too) and english compared to my subjects, I believe I should have gotten the dux. It sounds rather arrogant and it probably is, but the teachers also agree with me. HW and MA (my form teacher) were telling my mum last night about how the teachers spoke out against the admin about the decision because the marks were really close and my subjects were way harder than hers, and I did get 3 prizes compared to her 1 measly one. However, as predicted, the admin didn't give a shit. I'm more pissed off than disappointed. Yes, I am disappointed because I tried, but the dux wasn't my main aim. All I want is to do well in the real exams, because I'd rather get a scholarship and the course I want to do than get a school award. The girl who got the dux probably didn't even get a medicine interview (she might have applied for bonded med, that I wouldn't know) because her UMAT (aptitude test for med) was crap. But obviously I feel it's rather unfair. How many people can get 3 prizes, all of which are 'hard' subjects? During Thursday's assembly, the principal gave out some engineer's society certificate things to those of us who got 75 and above in applic maths, calc, chem and physics. If I wasn't mistaken, there were only 5 of us. The girl who got dux doesn't even do calc and phys. And the principal even announced that I got a 92% average in those 4 subjects to the general amazement of everyone including myself, because I didn't bother calculating that. Not that I was happy that she told everyone. And yes, after that announcement, I was quite confident about getting the dux, as were many of the teachers who told me so when they congratulated me later on. However, there was a stunned silence when they announced the actual dux. My dad was saying that there are probably other factors besides the qualitative ones of marks. I am pretty sure there was a very very small difference (probably decimal point) between my marks and the other girl's. Seeing that my subjects were harder, the teachers all thought I deserved it. Nevertheless, the other girl has been in the school for ages, is caucasian (not that I'm accusing the school of being overtly racist) and has parents way richer and more influential than mine. Logically, the admin, the suck-ups they are, would rather give it to her than me. As HW told me last night, it doesn't matter as long as I know that in my heart, I'm the best in the year. And all the teachers and most of the parents last night do too. It is just that I feel it is so unfair that I didn't get it when I clearly did better than the other girl, and would have if I had picked all the easier subjects like she did. But as MA said, I wouldn't have. Why ruin my future just for a school award, because in the actual exams, the easier subjects get scaled down? What matters now is that I do very well in the actual exams. If I beat the girl who got dux, all the better for me and worse for her and the school admin, because my mum is determined to have a word with the principal if that happens. As will the staff, probably. Then again, I don't really care. I just want a scholarship and to get into the course I want. Just extremely pissed at the miscarriage of justice by the school admin. I am rather grateful to the staff though. At least they stood up for me when they clearly knew it was unfair, and did their best to attempt to sway the decision in my favour. HW was so nice to me last night that I was touched... She gave me a tight hug and told that I know I am the best, and I am the best. I didn't know what she was talking about until my mum told me in the car about all this, because she had spoken to HW and MA. Unlike the year head, who is such a huge hypocrite. She hugged me and just kept talking to me, while ignoring poor Keisha who was right next to me. I thought it was so rude of her, and tried steering the convo to Keisha, but that didn't work. She asked me when my med interview was, and I said next fri, same as Keisha's, but she continued ignoring Keisha. Keisha wasn't fussed I think. She was laughing at me when our dear year head hugged me, while I was glaring at her. Humph. I suppose last night's convos shed a lot of light on the stuff teachers said to me on Thurs, like HW and MA, who said that I should have gotten the dux when I went to see them to give them their presents. I had thought it had just been a passing comment, till teachers I didn't know said that too, like Keisha's art teacher, who said that she thought I would get the dux. And suddenly, all the staff know my name, which is a bit scary. Including the dean of students, who is usually absolutely mean to everyone (she actually congratulated me on Thurs). Oh well... I am blinded by the hypocrisy of the world (note the dripping sarcasm). And the head of science, who was sitting behind me and kept poking me in the back to congratulate me and shake my hand. I don't even know her personally. Gee. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to see how things go. No point getting a cardiac arrest due to all that pent-up anger. On a separate note, Keisha slept over at my place on Wednesday! I was very surprised my mum agreed. Lol. We were making cards and wrapping the teachers' gifts. We didn't finish till 1.30am, and only fell asleep around 2.30am. Haha. She's also invited me to sleep over at her place tomorrow! Mum's still unsure about whether to let me go because my bro's starting work (don't know on what day. Might be mon), and she's worried about my gran being alone at home (she left the fire on the stove on the other day, though she turned it really low. Must have thought she's turned it off. And my bro says she turn the gas on the stove on for a long while because she didn't know she had to turn it 90degs clockwise, not just 45degs). Shall go do something to un-piss-off myself. 11:13 AM
|