![]() |
|
|
Disclaimer The reader accepts, on reading of this disclaimer, that the Internet is a vast wasteland of crap that spews out of human minds. This blog is no different. Any assumptions or conclusions that the reader draws from this blog are not the responsibility of the author, along with any physical or psychological harm that might result from the reading of this blog. Author The author is a paranoid, deranged and cynical misanthrope who records snippets of her life so that she will remember them when she grows old and withered. The identities of any names or initials on this blog are based on the assumptions of the reader unless otherwise specified, and the author claims no responsibility for them. Reality The author somehow got into medical school. Yes, you of the general public, shudder and fear the wrath of an inept doctor. Loves Reading, Maisy (my dog), tea, writing (albeit badly), piano, music, junk food. Hates Almost everything else besides the things mentioned above. Friends Bao Cheng' Bernice' Chien Young' Chun Hing' Claire' Faustina' Felicia' Ferly' Gloria' Irene' Irene & Jiaying' Jac' Jiamin' Jiasin' Jiaying' Lutheng' Karene' Marissa' Melesa' Mingyi' My fictionpress' Pamelia' Pei Rong' Qiu Ting' Rachel' Satires Site' Stasia' Sylvia' The Clique' Vinette' Wenjia' Xin Rong' Xue Ying' Yanne & I' Yanne & Jamie' Zeena' 203' Archives Chat area |
Saturday, August 27, 2005
I am feeling rather nauseous at the moment after eating so much lasagne. Hmm... Wondering how I did it? As you all know, I am such a great cook and thus, did the lasagne. Right... What I did was: Go to the supermarket, lift a box of lasagne off the shelf, bring it home, put the oven to 200 degrees, leave it there for 55 mins then take it out and eat it. Wow... Actually, my mom did everything from step 2. I just merely went to the supermarket, whimpered and begged for a box of lasagne, and hey presto! Woah... What a genius I am. Guns 'n' Roses truly rocks! Yes, both literally and metaphorically... Utterly inane. Anyway, here's an excerpt from Catcher in the Rye that I found really interesting... I am sorry that it will bore those who've read the book already, but this is for the benefit for those who haven't. "'Once you get past all the Mr Vinsons (stereotypical teacher/human- metaphor for obstacles society places for one), you're going to start getting closer and closer- that is, if you want to, and if you look for it and wait for it- to the kind of information that will be very, very dear to your heart. Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score (haha! he has me! right... btw, this is by me, and not by J.D Salinger), you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them- if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history (Yanne, stop shrieking). It's poetry.' He stopped and took a big drink out of his highball. Then he started again. Boy, he was really hot (I FULLY AGREE). I was glad I didn't try to stop him or anything. 'I'm not trying to tell you,' he said, 'that only educated or scholarly men are able to contribute something valuable to the world. It's not so. But I do say that educated and scholarly men, if they're brilliant and creative to begin with- which, unfortunately, is rarely the case- tend to leave infinitely more valuable records behind them than men do who are merely brilliant and creative. They tend to express themselves more clearly, and they usually have a passion for following their thoughts through to the end. And-most importantly- nine out of ten times they have more humility than the unscholarly thinker.' .... 'Something else an academic education will do for you. If you go along with it any considerable distance, it'll begin to give you an idea what size mind you have. What it'll fit and, maybe, what it won't. After a while, you'll have an idea what kind of thoughts your particular size mind should be wearing. For one thing, it may save you an extraordinary amount of time trying on ideas that don't suit yoou, aren't becoming to you. You'll begin to know your true measurements and dress your mind accordingly." That, is something I feel I can dedicate to you all, given my short vocabulary in the field of songs. I can tell that many are confused by what subjects to choose, especially when the subjects aren't even needed in the "real world", or even the prospective career that many plan to dive into. I am not specifically pinpointing anyone, and my sincerest apologies if I do sound like I am doing so. And, well, to those who think that education is useless: Even though things like periodic tables may seem unimportant, such trivial matters would are actually compasses showing you the directions your mind is taking, be it in the field of Science, Maths or anything... We are at the forks of the roads of our lives, and we all desperately need directions from anything we can lay our hands on. At this mere age, we are being forced to even select the roads we are going to choose to walk down in the future, and beyond these roads lay unknown prospects. Indeed, many would say that we are too young to choose which road we should continue trekking down, but when else can we decide? Ultimately, we would reach the fork of the road, and since the time has come, we should face it like a man faces war, even though the man knows that war would change his life forever, and he doesn't know if he can even return home safely (pardon me, I am too influenced by Gone with the Wind). But you do get the idea of the analogy, don't you? Of course, we would all feel confused, and including the stress you guys are facing about getting into IP, I would not be appalled at the confusion reigning, nor the paranoia in the atmosphere. Tension is high, and yes, people are cracking down. It's sad to see such things happen, but it's inevitable, and one must face it sooner or later. Anyway, all the best to all of you, and quoting the fateful line from the national day rally, "Go where your spirit wants to go". 9:49 PM
|